Commentary:Moon's views on America in the late 1950s
Reading through some of the speeches that Moon gave in the late 1950s, it becomes clear that already in that early stage of his mission he has been very critical of America. He criticizes America's materialism, and its lack of family culture, but it gives the feeling that he spoke more out of Korean pride than real concern and love for American people.
Of course, he exaggerates, and is unfair towards Americans when he writes:
As for people like Americans, they have no parents, no children and no relatives. Because of this, many people even desert their country. Furthermore, many people follow a religion purely for their own profit and abandon it when there is no more to gain.
What is also remarkable is that already in those years he defends the Renaissance and even Communism because they would have 'awakened' a culture that became too materialistic. His hatred against America makes him accuse America and makes him blind for the reality of the evils of communism. Where does his hatred against America come from? Does he blame America for the fact that Korea got split? Does he think in the way that North Koreans blame America for problems in Korea?
What i also note is that he builds on Jesus and his vision to build a kingdom of heaven. He mentions the failures of Christianity in history, but he does not hold Jesus responsible for this in any way.
- Unification Church of the United States
- 1950s Timeline for Moon and the Unification Church in the 1950s
- Research conducted in order to write this commentary
- [http://www.unification.net/1958/581012.html REVEREND SUN MYUNG MOON SPEAKS ON The Freedom, Liberation and Unification God Seeks to Attain, Former Headquarters Church, Seoul, Korea, October 12, 1958]
- "If America insists that its economy, culture, technology, scientific advancement and political system exist only for the sake of its people, America will be struck. That was why the Renaissance sprang up to awaken people. Today communism has appeared and has been awakening people."
- [http://www.unification.net/1958/581109.html REVEREND SUN MYUNG MOON SPEAKS ON God's Possession and Our Possession, Former Church Headquarters, Seoul, Korea November 9, 1958]